Thursday 18 February 2016

The Hunt for a Red October 5/14

I didn't think things could get much worse than they were in last weeks Hunt for a Red October, unfortunately things are getting pretty bleak in Redsville. Last week the Reds dropped 3 of 4 to Houston and went to Los Angeles and were swept by the Dodgers. The Reds record now stands at 15-23 and are in the cellar of the central division 10.5 games back of the Brewers.

I think Reds fans have officially started the Homer Bailey watch. Many would have liked to seen Bailey brought up for Sunday's game at LA (to replace Eric Milton who is on the DL). The Reds however went with Bobby Livingston, who had an ok first start going 5 1/3 IP and gave up 4 ER but gave up 10 hits and 4 walks. I am not sure how soon we will see Bailey. Before the season I predicted mid to late July. However if the woes continue I have to believe we will see him up before the All Star Break.

Time to take a quick look at the good and bad of the past week.

GOOD
  • Ken Griffey Junior. Junior remains on fire and has won NL Player of the Week honors. When healthy Jr usually produces unfortunately being healthy has been his big problem since coming home to Cincinnati. Hopefully he can stay healthy the rest of the year because he is fun to watch when he is playing like he is right now.
BAD
  • Bullpen. I don't really need to go into too much detail since its been the running theme of the season. The bullpen is struggling and continues to be the main reason for the Reds struggles. I really don't understand why Todd Coffey continues to see the mound.
Player of the Week
  • Ken Griffey Junior. This is the 2nd week in a row that Junior gets my nod for Player of the Week and as stated above he won the NL Player of the Week. Griffey has hit .405 with 4 homers and 10 RBI's in the last 10 games. Also here is another reason why Griffey gets my vote for Player of the week: In Saturday's game in LA, Junior gave a heckler a special gift. Nicely played Junior!
Upcoming WeekThe road trip for the Reds continues as first they travel to San Diego for a 3 game set then to intrastate rival Cleveland for a 3 game weekend series. Once again, I am not too optimistic about the upcoming games. I predict the Reds lose two of three to the Padres (I think they will win the Harang-Wells matchup. The finale with Arroyo and Peavy going at it should be a great pitchers duel but Peavy will get the win) and I think the Indians will sweep the Reds. If this happens it would mean the Reds will have gone 1-8 on the 9 game road trip and I have to believe that Castelini will do something and not just sit around while the Reds stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment